NJEA is accepting nominations for the 2018 Equality Champion Award. The award honors members who have been champions in the defense of human and civil rights, and that have significantly impacted education and the achievement of equal opportunity for those facing discrimination due to their sexual orientation or gender identity.
The Equality Champion award is presented by the NJEA Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SO&GI) Committee in cooperation with the Minority Leadership and Recruitment (ML&R) Committee.
Must be a current NJEA active or retired member in good standing for the past three years. Must complete application form below and submit by the deadline.
To be eligible for this award, the nominee must meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Promote appreciation for diversity with regard to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Work to eliminate discrimination or abusive behavior toward lesbian, gay, bisexual,transgendered (LGBT) groups and individuals in school environments.
- Help schools develop programs that enhance the education of LGBT students and teachstudents to refrain from activities such as bullying, stereotyping, and fighting.
- Demonstrate leadership and creativity in improving conditions and opportunities forLGBT individuals in school environments.
- Champions policy and/or legislation that improve conditions and opportunities for LGBTindividuals in school environments.
- Nominations will be accepted from individual active or retired members or NJEA localand county affiliates.
- Nominations must be accompanied by appropriate documentation which may include:newspaper clippings, newsletters, online reports, programs, certificates, citations,pictures, etc.
- Nomination applications and supporting documents must be received via email by Monday, Feb. 26, 2018.
- The award recipient must be available to attend the awards dinner at the Minority Leadership & Recruitment Conference scheduled for April 27, 2018.
- The Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity Committee will make the final selection withthe approval of the NJEA Executive Committee.